Wednesday, June 6, 2012

An Apologia a Day...?

In a book review essay in the most recent Quarterly Journal of Speech, the leading academic journal in the field of Communication Studies, Lisa Storm Villadsen suggests that scholarly research on apologia-- communication that responds to accusations--is moving beyond spectacle and toward a better understanding of democratic deliberation and rhetorical citizenship. The ideas in the writer's essay, and in the works that she reviews, are fascinating and got me thinking more about apologia. Also, with the approaching 60th anniversary of Richard M. Nixon's "Checkers" speech, an address that ushered in the modern age of media apologia, I thought it was high time to catalogue some of the apologia work that I've done as part of my research and teaching. I'll draw heavily from the Ware and Linkugel and Benoit schools of thought on apologia and image repair strategies, while bringing in other theories and ideas as needed. On the other hand, I want the blog to be accessible to those outside of academia who are interested in specific public figures, scandals, and the communication that is generated by both. The examples will range from minor missteps to calamitous crimes and calumnies. No set schedule for posting; I'll just put stuff up when I can. The ultimate goal is someday to end up with an "apologia calendar" wherein every day of the year observes some famed figure's attempt to explain their foul-up, bloop, or blunder. Not sure if it can be done, but someone needs to try...

No comments:

Post a Comment